Powered by RedCircle
In this week’s episode, Barb and Michelle discuss the art of assertive communication, and how we all can cultivate the skills needed to communicate in this way. Plus, they share their own personal experiences being afraid to be assertive for fears of not being liked, and more! Follow us @MichelleMaros and @Peaceful_Barb and share your experiences with us @BarbKnowsBestPod or at www.michellemaros.com/podcast.
Tips to becoming a more assertive communicator:
- Know who you are and what you want.
- Say what you mean.
- Be present in your conversation.
- Take responsibility and do not be passive in your communication.
- Ask questions for clarity.
- Tell the truth.
- Know when to be silent.
- Give yourself permission to take space in the conversation.
- Reinforce your boundaries.
- Be open to compliments as well as criticism.
Helpful responses when you are in a difficult conversation:
- I’ve already said No twice. Could we please talk about something else?
- I don’t tolerate (insert boundary here), so we can pause this conversation and come back to it later.
- Please let me finish this one thought and I will give you a chance to speak.
- I am not comfortable doing that or that doesn’t work for me. This one line will help with someone who is not willing to take “no” for an answer.
References Mentioned in Today’s Podcast:
GET YOUR BARB KNOWS BEST MERCH TODAY! CLICK HERE!